Almond milk is the liquid extraction, made from ground almonds with an exotic taste and an awesome substitute for milk. It is beige in color with tinge of sweetness and refreshment. Almond milk has various advantages over milk. It neither contains any cholesterol nor lactose. For the reason some vegans avoid dairy products being animal product, almond milk is gaining popularity on the grounds of its unique creamy and nutty texture. Also it provides a better option for those with soy and lactose allergies.
Almond milk can be easily found in market under various brand names in super markets with a long shelf life. Although one can prepare it oneself also. The most common way is to blend n grind up some soaked almonds with some optional additional sweeteners or any flavors as desired and then straining out the mixture finely.
Nutritional benefits of almond milk
1. Almond milk is lower in fat as well as calorie content as compared to cow milk. Plain almond milk with no sweetening added accounts for 60 calories per each oz serving size. One cup of vanilla flavored , sweetened almond milk contains 90 calories and 2.5 gm of fats. While the cow milk contents with 120 calorie and 5 gm of fats per cup. These numbers may vary greatly by brand and type also.
2 .It contains no cholesterols.
3. Almond milk being rich in potassium also enhances healthy blood pressure.
4. It also contains good amount of phosphorous, magnesium, as well as quantities of selenium, manganese ,vitamin E and zinc.
5. They are also rich in vitamins A, D and B-12, and thus provide a significant percentage of recommended dietary allowance for those nutrients. Some of them are also supplemented with calcium contents commercially.
6. A cup of almond milk contains 500 IU of vitamin A, 100 IU of vitamin D and few micrograms of vitamin B-12 which suffices all the requirements our body needs.
7. A cup of it also contains 1 gm of fiber and proteins which are beneficiary to us in several ways.
8. The fat contained in almond milk, are unsaturated and thus have no adverse effect on our body, making it consumable to people with heart problems.
9. Commercially , it also has added calcium accounting for its requirement to the body.
10. With all of these facts under consideration one can easily replace serving of almond milk over recommended dairy products.
Health benefits of almond milk
1. Being cholesterol free, almond milk decreases our chances of gaining bad cholesterol and at the same time helps regulate good cholesterols .
2. The unsaturated fat content , 7gm per serving have less effect on sugar levels of body as being contributed to carbohydrate levels. They have low glycemic nature and thus fully digested and transformed into useful energy by the body.
3. The vitamin D and calcium contents together helps in strengthening as well as building of bones.
4. Vitamin D also helps improving our immunity and cell functioning. It also tends to lower the chances of osteoporosis and even Alzheimer’s disease.
5. The magnesium found in almond milk also helps body to absorb the calcium properly and activates enzymes that help digestion in the body.
6. The vitamin E content having anti-oxidant property helps regulate vitamin A synthesis, as well as skin health.
7. Vitamin A helps improve functionality of eyes , enhancing the ability to adjust to differences in light.
8. Almond milk also contains vitamin B contents in the form of riboflavin and other nutrients which enhance muscle power.
9. The low calorie content has less count on our daily calorie consumption making almond milk perfect for diet plans.
10.Consuming almond milk, low in sodium and cholesterol helps maintain better heart health and normal blood pressure
11. Magnesium content helps breakdown the consumed food into energy. The mineral also aids the parathyroid glands, producing hormones that promote good bone health.
why almond world healthiest food?
Almonds are the ancient foods that have been written about in historical texts, including the Bible itself. These are available throughout the year to aid healthy and tasty addition to both sweet and savory dishes. These are the nuts , with high mono saturated fat content which doesn’t have bad effects and at the same time fulfills the requirements of a stomach and body. The almond is technically the seed of the fruit of the almond tree. It is a glorious medium-size tree bearing fragrant pink and white flowers. Almonds within their shells have the longest shelf life.
Although almonds are known to provide a variety of cardio-protective benefits, many of us still avoid them for fear of weight gain. A prospective study published in the journal Obesity states all such fears as groundless. In fact, people who ate them , at least twice a week were much less likely to gain weight than others those who almost never ate them.
Almonds are among a small number of food containing measurable amounts of oxalates. These beneficiary amounts of oxalates are naturally-occurring substance found in plants, animals, and human beings. When their concentration increases in body fluids, they crystallize up giving rise to health problems. For the aforesaid reason ,individuals having untreated kidney or gallbladder problems may want to avoid eating almonds. According to a study published in the British Journal of Nutrition , when foods independently having low or zero cholesterols are added in a health plan the beneficiary effects are additive. Having a perfect balance of minerals like vitamin E, manganese, biotin, copper ,magnesium, molybdenum , riboflavin (vitamin B2), and phosphorus , almonds can be treated as a food as it meets all the basic requirements of the body. It has been demonstrated through blood tests that eating almonds with their skins significantly increases both flavonoids and vitamin E in the body. These could have significant health implications, especially as people grew aged. And thus blanching almonds is highly restrained because blanching nuts removes their skin and thus they are no longer belong to the category of a whole food.